The Washington Invasive Species Council often serves as a forum for invasive species education and communication. We invite you to learn more about some of our recent forum coordination efforts below.
Feral Swine: A Growing Threat
Open House Meeting and Webinar
To share information about feral swine identification, impacts, and the imminent threat to Washington State resources, the Washington Invasive Species Council held a meeting and Webinar on January 4, 2018.
Participants heard from experts about feral swine damage and impacts to crops, wildlife, and water quality, and learned about disease threats to livestock. The council also discussed what Washington is doing to prevent establishment of this new threat.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services
- Washington State Department of Agriculture Animal Services Division
- AgForestry Leadership Program Class 39 Students
Pacific Northwest Northern Pike Forum
The Pacific NorthWest Economic Region partnered with the council and partners to convene a meeting at the 2018 Annual Pacific Northwest Economic Region Summit in Spokane to discuss northern pike and provide a forum for cross-border and jurisdictional discussion of the economic and environmental damages.
Scotch Broom Ecology and Management Symposium
To share information that could be used to address and mitigate impacts to Washington’s economy and natural resources, the council in partnership with the Snoqualmie Tribe Environmental and Natural Resources Department, Washington State agencies, the Scotch Broom Working Group, King County Noxious Weed Control Program, and a consortium of researchers held a statewide Scotch Broom Ecology and Management Symposium on May 23, 2017.
- Scotch Broom Working Group
- 10,000 Years Institute
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- Northern Arizona University
- National Science Foundation DEB 1354985
- King County Noxious Weed Control Program
- Washington Invasive Species Council
- Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board
- Washington State Department of Agriculture
- Washington State Department of Transportation
- WSU Extension APHIS PPQ RAIN4 Project
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Plant Protection and Quarantine
- Crop Protection Services, Timberland Division